I was watching Documentary Now with Bill Hader and Fred Armisen, and they have an opossum living in the house of the "Grey Gardens" episode. I was actually crying IT WAS SO CUTE (facts largely from this video, WHICH FEATURES A REAL OPOSSUM: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=--NhXqNYfXw)
- •After nursing in the mother's pouch, baby opossums climb onto her back and ride around.LOOK AT THEIR CUTE FACES
- •The Virginia opossum is North America's only native marsupial.Eastern-hemisphere possums are actually more closely related to kangaroos than to the North American opossum.
- •Opossums' low body temperature makes it impossible for them to carry the rabies virus.
- •When opossums "play possum," they faint for 40 minutes to several hours. They do this involuntarily when they're terrified.I understand this on a deep level.
- •Female opossums are BADASS. They only have 13 days to get ready for their babies to arrive, and then they do EVERYTHING to raise them.Male opossums have zero parenting responsibility.
- •Opossums are migratory animals, so you won't find them marking or aggressively defending their territory. They can't spray like skunks or cats.They might defend their food, though.
- •They could be adorable pets, except they would probably get into all of your food and nibble on it.THOSE LITTLE CLAWS!! 😭
- •Some prestigious television appearances:
- •Parks & RecFAIRWAY FRANK
- •...🎶"Fairway Frank, you're gonna die, you're gonna fry, oh yeah. You guilty son-of-a-bitch! You're gonna fry when they flip that switch!"🎶
- •Brooklyn 99Charles thinks he's found Cheddar, Captain Holt's corgi. I CRIED
- •Documentary NowOkay, so I can't find a picture or GIF of the opossum, but just look at this. Unmissable television.