Things I Learned Watching Tommy Boy With the Audio Commentary On
With director Peter Segal
- •The movie was originally titled "Billy the Third: A Midwestern," but it was changed when they found out about the upcoming Adam Sandler movie "Billy Madison." It was also almost called "Fat Chance" until Lorne Michaels suggested "Tommy Boy."
- •The original script focused on Tommy and the relationship with his new brother-in-law, played by Rob Lowe (which actually sounds a lot like Step Brothers).
- •The writers of Shrek say they based the relationship of Shrek and Donkey on Chris Farley and David Spade in Tommy Boy.
- •The idea for the half-dead deer to wake up in their car came from an actual 911 call from a man who was being bit by a deer and a dog at the same time.
- •A professional wrangler trained a deer for one month to actually destroy that classic car.
- •Roseanne was slated to have a cameo as a waitress, but timing didn't work out.