Let ME Tell You About the Junior League 📂
I am in my 8th year as a member of my local Junior League chapter. I think it gets a bad rep so I want to tell you more about it. Have you read or seen The Help? Yeah, it's nothing like that anymore. #draftmas
- •The mission is important. "The Association of Junior Leagues International, Inc. (AJLI) is an organization of women committed to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women and improving communities through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. Its purpose is exclusively educational and charitable."Our shorthand for it is "DIP": developing members' potential (through training, both formal classroom style and guerrilla on-the-ground), improving the community, and promoting voluntarism.
- •The training is a big deal. Lots of famous women leaders got their start in the Junior League.Sandra Day O'Connor is a former president and sustaining member of the Phoenix chapter. So was Margaret T. Hance, the first female mayor of Phoenix.
- •You can use it as a resume builder.I served as the volunteer VP Finance in 2011-12, so I was essentially the CFO. Having that on my resume put me in serious contention for a paid job as the CFO of another nonprofit, even though I've never had a full-time job as an accountant (although my undergrad is in accounting).
- •If you're new to a city, it's a great way to meet like-minded women and integrate into your community.
- •There's lots of opportunity for socializing during volunteer work, but also fun social-only events.Our chapter has a White Party every year and sponsors hikes, happy hours and other outings.
- •The Southern Leagues can be hard to get into.I've heard that sometimes you have to have a sponsor and membership is more exclusive. However, I think in most of them if you show a genuine interest they will help you find a sponsor if you don't know anyone.
- •Leagues in "young" cities are welcoming and not exclusive.You do have to fulfill some meeting and service requirements, as well as pay dues, but that's it!
- •List request me if you want to know more!