THINGS NOT TO SAY TO EDUCATION MAJORS
When you meet someone who's going to be a teacher (like me!) don't tell them these things, they're all super disheartening.
- •"My sister/friend/cousin is a teacher and the horror stories they tell me..."Am I them? No.
- •"That's so great...."But in a tone of voice that is anything but great.
- •The pay is just so awful!Bonus points when accompanied by, "Better marry rich!"
- •"I could NOT handle children all day"Well I happen to love children so, it should be okay.
- •"The teacher dropout rate is so high"Seriously, how do I even respond to that?
- •~sighs and shakes head~This one is the worst when it comes from one of your old (and favorite teachers) which happened to me and crushed my soul a little bit.
- •"Well...good for you, we need good teachers."This one usually comes as a qualifying statement after crushing my dreams with one of the above ones. Just try to hide your disdain a little better when you say it.
- •Seriously, when anyone tells you they want to do anything, just be encouraging! We're all trying our best here.