THE CONTEMPORARY MUSICAL THEATER STARTER KIT: YOU'VE LISTENED TO HAMILTON (OR NOT) NOW WHAT?
all of this is on Spotify and iTunes and everywhere!
- •Listen to The Last Five Years Original Cast Recordingthe one with Norbert Leo Butz and Sherie Rene Scott. I really think that you should do this before watching the film (which is now on Netflix). The film is also very good, but will be more impactful if you are a little familiar with the music beforehand.
- •Listen to Raul Esparza singing Being Aliveit's on Youtube and Spotify and iTunes and listening to it feels like somebody knows your soul. And that somebody is Stephen Sondheim.
- •Listen to In The HeightsLin Manuel Miranda, the Hamilton guy, wrote and was in this. It's my fave!
- •Re-visit Jonathan Larson's workHe wrote Rent, which you've probably heard some of at some point. Now, listen to the Original Broadway Cast Recording, not the movie soundtrack. Trust me. Also, listen to Tick, Tick, Boom.
- •Listen to Next To NormalTrust me
- •Listen to Fun HomeThis was at The Public Theatre off-Broadway, the same place where Hamiton later also played. It's based on the graphic memoir by Alison Bechdel, yes of the Bechdel Test.
- •Continue to explore the composers that you are now in love with: Lin Manuel Miranda, Jason Robert Brown, Steven Sondheim, Tom Kitt, and Jeanine Tesori! They've done so much incredible work! They've even worked together and inspired each other! How lucky we are to be alive right now!
- •Explore other composers, or maybe listen to shows that performers from the recordings you already consumed were in. Watch covers on Youtube they did at caberets in New York or elsewhere. Listen to Cabaret, even!
- •If you want more recommendations, always feel free to ask me. I clearly love talking about this! For example, I highly recommend listening to Allegiance. The cast recording just came out today!
- •Thanks for reading!❤️🎶🎵🎶💓💞😘✨