CHILDREN'S BOOKS THAT SCARED ME GROWING UP
- •The Cat in the HatI identified most with the goldfish. He shouldn't have been there when the mother was out! There was nothing scarier to me than the idea of a charismatic stranger showing up and trashing my house, leaving me to explain it to my mom.
- •Frog and ToadObjectively creepy. Also, did they ever bang, or what?
- •Winnie-the-PoohEeyore introduced me to Nihilism at a young age. It really hit home with me. I was a wreck for months.
- •Charlie and the Chocolate FactoryCharismatic stranger (oh how I hate those) lures kids into candy factory, kills four "spoiled brats." They're kids, Willy! And you killed them! Well maybe not killed, but permanently disfigured.
- •Goodnight MoonIt's a lovely book, but I read it during my Winnie-the-Pooh nihilism phase, which put a very dark spin on it.