Radical Stuff I Wore in the '80s
Inspired by @mallofamanda
- •Striped Benetton shirtOversized with rolled-up sleeves and popped collar.
- •Levi's 501 jeansPretty sure they were men's. And they were also oversized (I love oversized things). I wore those jeans until they were my proper size and they literally fell apart (in the early 90's).
- •Hypercolor shirtMine was the same color way as the photo but a short-sleeved tee. Aside: how was this a good idea? It changed colour anywhere it was warm, which was all the places it touched your body — so your underarms and the tops of your boobs (horrifying to a not-quite-pubescent girl) were pretty much always on display.
- •Jelly shoesI wore mine with my favourite pair of cat-patterned socks and they ended up covered in blood from the places the shoes tore up my feet.
- •Stirrup pantsHopelessly unflattering.
- •Slouch socksOver the stirrup pants.
- •Large plastic earringsFrom stores with names like Coconut Joe and Karuba.
- •Oversized neon t-shirtsMy rotation consisted of pink, orange, and green.
- •Oversized patterned sweatshirtsI actually owned a sweatshirt that had a giant cat face on the front.
- •ReeboksAwesome with the slouch socks and stirrup pants (my ankles have never been so well protected).
- •A dress made of acetateWith polka-dots and a large bow and a lace collar! It was from Marks & Spencer and I thought it was the coolest because it was foreign. I wish I was kidding. Also: what was the deal with my hair?! (I used to brush it and then scrunch it with mousse and Aussie Sprunch Spray...so I've answered my own question.)
- •ScrunchieWith the high side half pony and large bangs.