My Run Journal
My journey to my six minute mile, and 20 minute 5km. Long press the title and join our li.st run club x
- •My want (nay, desire) to start running again has been growing. It has been hard to go back after chronic injury. However, I made a pact with a friend, so here we are!Stephanie is sending me a legit trophy if I do a 20 minute 5km!
- •Am I competitive? Kind of. Like I am, but not in that serious way. I'm actually mostly competitive with myself. Hence why I like yoga and running.
- •I'm a moderate paced distance runner. So my goal now is to become a fast paced short distance runner. With the hope and aim to mayyyyybbbbbeeeee stretch that fast pace to some distance and qualify for Boston 26.1 one day!I know how ridiculously hard it is to prepare for those runs so that's why it's a hard maybe at this stage.
- •This journal is mostly to keep me motivated because that's where I struggle. Getting out of bed is my run nemesis!
- •[Wk 1] Monday: 6am: Riverside: 1.62km: 9:35minsFirst run after a couple years of not running. Happy with my time, roughly on par with my old times. Recovered well, minimal stretching.
- •[Wk 1] Friday: 8:30am: Beach run (on sand): 1.62km: 11:03minsDecided to go for a beach run post paddle-boarding. Was distracted by my minimal support bikini and my dog running amuck! Stamina felt better though despite the slower time. No stretching.
- •[Wk 2] Tuesday 7:30am : Beach (footpath) : 1.62km : 9.31minsHills and head winds and I'm improving! Sticking with the mile runs until I can drop my time. My ankles weren't loving life to begin with, so I might need to add in some strength work to my week. Now I'm watching my nephews finish their surf club training!
- •[wk 2] friday 6:30am : riverside pavement : 1.62km : 9:20minsFastest run so far and I'm happy bc one it shows improvement and two it shows I can pick up my pace at the end (meaning I could go further!). I dicked around on my phone taking snaps early in the run, so I'm pleased I improved on my time. Easy run. Time to break the 9 min mark.
- •[wk 3] Monday : 5pm : riverside : 1.62 : 8:30mins🙌🏼 I broke the 9s! I brought a pace setter this time, my excitable pup! Terrible head wind on the way back which slowed me considerably on the last 600m. I nearly died (it was still very sunny), yet I'm so happy, grateful and proud! Recovering and feeling good.
- •[wk 3] Wednesday : 6:30am : riverside: 1.62km : 8:50minsI regressed a little today and it was to be expected. I've not been preparing (stretching, eating, hydrating) adequately and I only ran a day ago, so the micro-tears in my muscles haven't repaired properly. I felt my sore thighs the minute I started. All good though, I'm perfectly happy with that run. Time to go home and get cool! It's on it's way to 38C (106F) today!
- •[wk 3] Sunday : 7am : riverside : 1.62km : 8:41minsHappy I pushed myself to get a third run in this week. And at 7am on a Sunday, no less! It's been a very hot week and today will be raining all day, so I pushed past the head wind on that final 600m to finish. I was truly exhausted as I've not been sleeping well. I finished with a lactic build up. I don't feel great about the run itself, but hey, given the state of the world today maybe it's not the run bringing me down.
- •[wk 4] Tuesday : 4pm : riverside : 1.62km : 8:15minOk, so yep, a new fastest time and quite by accident! I was feeling a bit low and intended on going for an untimed jog. Instead, I found a stride! The conditions were near perfect though, and having no headwind helped. Felt less rubbish after this run compared to the other day. Recovered fine. Minimal stretching. Look out! I might be in the sevens as soon as next week 😯
- •[wk 4] Wednesday : 7pm : beach : cross-train (sort of!)Ok, so my 'cross-training' soft sand beach walk made it to my journal because, to be completely fair, it reminded me that I need to do much more than 1.62km to get me to a 6min/mile. It's also meditative, social and fucking fun hanging with one of my gf's talking all things Bachelor drama.
- •[wk 4] - didn't run, took pain killers and slept in instead! -I didn't go for my planned run this morning bc I woke at 4am with major cramps and my period. I thought to update my journal with this bc this actually affects women runners! After years of running prior to this, I know how my cycle affects my run. I'm actually fairly strong in my luteal phase, but get super drained days 1-3 of my follicular phase! Know your cycle, ladies! To help you out: https://womensrunninguk.co.uk/health/running-periods/
- •[wk 5] cross-train : swimming. I've felt really average the last few days. Super tired. Not sure if it was due to my period or not. Either way, a spontaneous trip to the beach and I found myself doing 'laps' and being chased down by life-guard pups! When the water is this perfect you can't help but do laps. I don't even like doing laps!!Hoping my run mojo returns tomorrow. After than 8:15min/mile I'm keen to break into the 7s.
- •*update* I've not been running for two weeks bc I put my back out (well my shoulder blades + neck). I suspect the cause was my unruly pace setter Missy. Just went for a light walk/jog and man do I miss running. I have a plan to get back into it and will start next week.The plan: run riverside at my university, sans dog!