When Life Delivers The Answer Before Google Does.
(Alt title: I Patted A Nobel Prize Laureate's Dog Today)
- •Often I have wondered who the namesake of my faculty's library is.Previously our libraries were simply named after the faculties and we still call them by these names by force of habit.
- •The campus libraries were renamed a couple of years ago after alumni of the university.
- •Mine, named after a Nobel Laureate, I learned today.
- •So I wondered about this namesake without ever googling the history.
- •Today, my question was answered as my coworker Tom and I were out on artwork deliveries from yesterday's auction.
- •He just blurted out, "so, the next person we're delivering to, her husband won a Noble Prize". After I enquired of his name (it was his wife's on the invoice), worked out that I was about to be in the home of my library's namesake and all-round hero of my university!
- •Oh my freaking goodness!Nerd fan-girling 🙌🏼
- •Not expecting him to be home, I mean surely he was in the lab (right?!), and at the tail end of a rather large art piece, I was beyond shocked when he rounded the corner of the hallway I was about to walk down.
- •He commented, a nerdy professor joke — and for those of you keeping tabs on my social media you know I'm fond of nerdy professor jokes — I quipped back. It was a brief and special moment!
- •After putting the painting where it needed to go, Tom, our client (his wife!) and I made our way back into the living room. We were on our way to see a piece our client was most happy about when I was intercepted...
- •...by their dog! OMFG. I'm there, in the living room, with namesake-nobel winner-humanitarian-funny professor AND HIS DOG! Pats and kisses galore!Who freaking loved me, btw! Although I was later informed that she's a total tart who loves everyone. Still.
- •So today, I not only had life answer a question before google did, I met a Nobel Laureate (and joked with him!) and I also became besties with his dog.
- •This is how I looked when I got back in the truck. Fair to say I was pretty darn excited!
- •Now each time I walk through the doors of that library I have the great memory of meeting the man* (and the puppy) of which it is named.*and amazing wife of. She, in fact, is a stunning human. So wonderful, intelligent and has an eye for (and amazing collection of) fine art.