British English Thing I Learned Today
- •"Vest" is an undergarment worn over a brassiereI knew they say waistcoat here but didn't know vest meant a different thing.
- •How did I learn this?Well let me tell you
- •A couple came up to me to introduce their 12-year old daughter who liked my talkSo many kids at this conference
- •I chatted with her about it and then said she had a cool vestBecause it was legitimately cool
- •She looked terrifiedBecause I accused her of wearing a undergarment only old women wear apparently
- •Her parents told me what a vest isWhy did I not know this
- •They explained to her what I meantSo much explanation it probably sounded fake
- •They promptly left.And actually came up to me at the bar later and apologized for going all parent on me. We had a laugh and a drink and I said it would at least make for a good story.