(MY) ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING
I started babysitting at age 11 and babysat for at least a dozen families fairly regularly for over a decade, including being a part-time nanny for one family while I was in college. It's mostly my own former stupidity that makes me terrified to leave my child with a babysitter.
- •One time, while babysitting for a family on our street, I told the mom that the baby "cries for so long when I put her down for a nap, I wish I could just knock her out so she'd sleep!"In my defense, I was 11, it was my first gig and I was kidding. However, now that I'm a mother, I would have instantly fired my ass.
- •One time, the parents told me to turn the vacuum on when I put their infant daughter to bed. I let that poor girl cry for far too long before I actually turned it on and she instantly fell asleep.I was convinced they were trying to trick me. I was always looking for parents trying to trip me up with false instructions and nanny cams. I honestly have no idea where that paranoia came from.
- •One time, I babysat for a neighbor by taking her son for a walk around the neighborhood for an hour and she paid me 50 cents.Literally 2 quarters. I was like ✌🏼. But I did learn an important lesson about negotiating salary before committing to a job.
- •One time, I was babysitting two little girls all day (ages 1 and 3 maybe?) and I bundled us up to play outside in the snow and locked us out of the house.THANKFULLY, they lived only a few blocks away from us so I immediately walked to my parents house and my dad helped me break back in.
- •One time, one of the little boys I babysat, told me I was beautiful, "just like mommy."He was 3 and obviously one of my favorites. 😘
- •One time, while babysitting for our crazy neighbor, I washed some of her dishes and broke a glass and she was so pissed.My mom was very firm that I should be a helpful babysitter and if the kids were napping or watching TV that I should clean up in some way so I thought I was doing what I was supposed to do. I had even cleaned it up and there was a huge pile of dirty dishes so I could have not said anything at all and she wouldn't have noticed. Ah honesty, you fickle friend.
- •One time, one of the little boys I babysat dragged me upstairs with his brother and sister (a toddler and infant at the time) to show us a Lego tower he'd built...And then made us wait outside the door forever. I kept asking when we could come in and he kept yelling back, "YOU CAN'T RUSH ART."
- •One time, while babysitting two little boys (I babysat them in exchange for music lessons from their mom) we took a walk and a truckload of teenagers drove by and called me fat.Humiliating. And also still puzzling because I didn't know any of them. Kids are so mean sometimes for no reason at all.
- •One time, one of the little boys I nannied for, told me he liked my curly hair because it was "twirly like a roller coaster."He and his sister were my all-time favorites, we had so much fun together. They were both in my wedding.
- •One time, the family of 4 devil boys I sometimes babysat in our neighborhood when I was desperate for cash, managed to LOCK ME OUT OF THE HOUSE AND SPRAY ME WITH THE HOSE.Then after I went home, I had to walk back so that the parents could make them apologize to me. That was the worst part. I should have told them to walk their fiendish selves over to MY house.
- •One time, those same devil boys taped a NASCAR race while I was babysitting them...And after I made them clarify 3 times that they were allowed to that (oh the pre-cell phone/texting days when you were forced to rely on the word of a child 😩) they were like, "oh no, we used mom & dad's wedding tape!!" And after they'd sent me into a legit panic attack, they fell to the floor with spasms of laughter. A horror film should be made about them.
- •One time, I sighed to the little girl I nannied for, "It's been a hard day's night"And she, age 5, responded, "and I've been working like a dog." ❤️❤️❤️