Australian and New Zealand Movies To Watch.
A short list (because I try to adhere to the rule of tl;dr) of lesser known films I've seen or which come highly recommended. Thanks for the request @solitarygigi (sorry it took so long!)
- •Red DogGreat little movie about a dog that hitch-hiked his way into the hearts of a bunch of burley Aussie blokes hearts. Red Dog 2 just came out here, haven't seen it!
- •Wolf CreekNot seen, but recommended. I don't watch these kinds of films! If you're into it, I've been told it's good.
- •The CastleSo many banger lines they still come up when a moment is serene, or if mum serves up some rissoles. I believe this film was Americanised for the US so that it could be understood. *The* most Aussie film in this list. By far.
- •The DishSimilar style to The Castle (same creator), it irreverently and beautifully captures another lesser known (remembered) part of world history. I went to the Dish and it was such a humbling experience. Small country town, big deal!
- •Priscilla Queen of the DesertA Baz Luhrman film. High colour, high energy, highly recommended. I love this film. A direct recommendation for @beefball 😘
- •Strictly BallroomBaz has been a busy man! I remember thinking this film being cute. Watch if you have time, a Baz fan or into ballroom dancing :)
- •ChopperEric Bana executed the role of one of our most notorious criminals brilliantly. He was even recommended for the role by the real Chopper Read! Worth the watch.
- •Man From Snowy RiverNot sure if this is lesser known or not, but it's a classic for good reason. I personally can only recall one scene from it! Recommended.
- •Hunt for the WilderpeopleI don't know too many NZ films. This one buried its way into my heart though. Big love for this little film. The adventures of a very unlikely duo. If for nothing else watch it for the accent!
- •Ned KellyMaybe I enjoyed this for Orlando and Heath. It was also nostalgic for me as Ned Kelly featured in a number of primary school Australian history assignments! Good movie to learn some of our history!
- •BoyThe New Zealanders really have a knack for making heartfelt stories fun(ny). Maybe it's the accent 🤔. This is a recommended and now I want to watch it. Is that sacrilege on Australia Day?!
- •Looking For AlibrandiI loved this film. Definitely worth a watch. I just remembered it. It is fun and complicated. As a 'good catholic school girl' (back then) I was #intoit