MEMORIES OF OUR WEEK IN BALI
We do this thing, at the end of every vacation create a list of the most memorable moments (good, bad and delightfully weird!).
- •👍🏼👍🏼 two thumbs, mba, happy wife happy lifeWayan is the husband-half of the funniest comedy duo this side of Balinese cooking classes! The above were just three of the things he'd say with the cutest and most mischievous of grins! Two thumbs, he would say for acknowledgement that we were happy. MBA, marriage by accident (as in baby out of wedlock) and the third, is, well.. obvious!
- •Fave waiter/waitress - OchaShe was so beautiful and taught us how to speak Balinese and always asked us what we were up to. She was, simply, glorious. (And yes, this is a creeper spy photo from my sun lounge)
- •hearing, by way of a Balinese pan flute, My Heart Will Go Onquite a new experience hearing this song covered by a traditional Balinese instrumental band .. wow, Celine's royalties will also go on.. and on.. and on!
- •watching an ant clean/tune it's antennaeI can't be entirely sure what the ant was doing, but I was close enough to see it stroke it's antennae with its front limbs. I've never been this close to an ant before and never has one been so ballsy as to stay stopped that close to my face.
- •didn't get Bali Belly, but I did get sick 😞Worst part of the vacay is definitely being unwell. Around Thursday (half way) I developed sinusitis and that was it, mandatory rest (poolside, #hardlife) for the rest of the trip. Except for the cooking class on Friday and a quick hour stroll around Ubud, and the rest was feet up and sinuses blocked. Sitting at the airport a little worried about being able to equalise my ears 😣
- •Our attempt to learn the language!See previous list!.. we managed to say "suksma" A LOT! (translation: thank you). It was mildly amusing for our new Balinese friends to watch us struggle with our new found language skills. Either way, we do it on every vacation, mostly out of respect.
- •MonkeysI always thought I liked monkeys. Apparently I don't and this is where our (my husband and my) opinions of "how" this ranks is different. 🐒 are little fuckers and I don't like them. Ok, to be fair, they are kind of cute, but the thieving monkeys of Uluwatu Temple are wankers and I hate their attitude. Daniel thinks they are hilarious. #caseclosed
- •Overpriced, under-ratedLobster dinner on the beach at Jimbaran Bay. Ok, to be fair, living in Perth affords me to eat the tastiest crayfish for a relatively good price on some of the worlds cleanest, whitest sand suburban beaches in the world... so paying 75USD to get intimidated by monkeys and then eat rubbery seafood on a dirty crowded beach was kind of a let down. Oh well, loved our tour guide Nadi, so that makes up for it!
- •Pool-sideWe always intended this holiday as one to relax and not do a whole lot.. and to get a tan. Well, we kind of did a lot more pool-side relaxing than originally intended. Mostly due to my aforementioned illness and my need to finish Atlas Shrugged before my 31.12.2015 deadline!
- •...there are more, many more moments, yet for now, these are the ones that strike me most.