I Just Can't Believe I'm in Germany!!
I'm in Germany!!!!!!! Ah!!!!!!
- •I have an internship here in Flensburg, a city very far north, near Denmark.Red arrow marks the spot.
- •I'm working in an office with a view of the harbor and the Baltic Sea!It's seriously so beautiful.
- •I'll be doing research all summer at the European Centre for Minority Issues, an NGO think-tank that works with various European governments and the OSCE.This is a photo of the building.
- •My office used to be a customs center for the Danish Kingdom!The arch in the above photo was the entrance to the city from the harbor. There was a huge scale in the middle of the arch to weigh goods as they came in and out.
- •I don't speak ~any~ German!!!!!!!It has been a little hard. I hate not knowing at least a little of the language when I travel. I feel it contributes to a rude American stereotype and it just sucks for both parties involved!
- •BUT!! I'm learning a little.My housemate speaks fluent German and teaches it at a school for refugees. She is helping me around and I also am using Duolingo to learn some words and phrases.
- •My coworkers are awesome and very friendly! They have made me feel very welcome and I've only been there two days.
- •Tomorrow is a holiday so I won't go in to work, on Friday either.Germans bridge the gap and just take a long weekend, which is dope.
- •I'm going to go out day drinking with a coworker bc apparently that is what you do on this holiday.Right up my alley.
- •I'm just so excited to be here!!!