BETTER CONCEPTS FOR MUSIC VIDEOS THAT WERE TERRIBLE
- •Carly Rae Jepsen - I Really Really Like YouGod love Tom Hanks but this video is just strange. Better concept: um, Carly sings the song instead? And Tom gets into scrapes like a wacky uncle?
- •Carly Rae Jepsen - Boy ProblemsSecond time offender. Seriously Jeppo. Sure it's got indie cred through Petra Collins and Tavi Gevinson, but the whole concept comes off just so dour. Better concept: bring in the dayglo colours and actual fun. Remember the movie Josie and the Pussycats? Like that. Including the excoriation of commercialization!
- •Taylor Swift - New RomanticsConcert footage video = phoning it in. Better concept: Where's the guy from the Blank Space video? Get him to have an over the top foot race with Taylor (she wins, of course). Also the horse from the Blank Space video should be involved somehow, maybe as referee.
- •Coldplay featuring Rihanna - Princess of ChinaWell I am all for people trying new things and widening their creative attempts, but seeing Chris Martin pretend to be an action hero/romancing Rihanna is maybe the most cringe-inducing thing in the world. Better concept: The dancing baby from Ally McBeal timed to the beat. The Windows 95 Pipes screensaver. Anything else really.
- •Justin Bieber - Beauty and the BeatOh, so self indulgent, though we've all forgiven him now because of the string of Purpose driven hits. Better concept: um, steal that Bjork musical video from Its Oh So Quiet! I know it's not that good a match, I just love that video. Anything that ends with someone on a cherry picker heading into the fresh clean future is tops by me.
- •Jason Derulo - Want to Want MeThat one of the top summer hits of years past has basically just a boudoir video makes me want to cry. Better concept: anything I can show to my five year old without having to explain the concepts of patriarchy and oversexualization.