Cooking and Marketing, 1920s Style
So I found this old cookbook yesterday in some of my aunt's things. It had been my great-grandmother's and it appears to be from the 1920s. Come along for a look!
- •CoverAll products are from the F. W. McNess company. They had a LOT of items to pick from, as you'll see. Seems they did door-to-door, or at least person-to-person, like Tupperware or Avon.
- •See? LOTS.And this is just the cooking products.
- •Under "Meats," but it's a vegetarian recipe.Very forward-thinking!
- •Spinach & Beets - very colorful dish!
- •Brushes!Hat & skirt brushes, veggie brushes, clothes brush, even a manicure brush (whatever that is).
- •Not to mention a milk can brush!
- •Cakes and toothpaste on the same page!In the pre-fluoride days.
- •So. Many. Liniments. (And tonics!)
- •Let's not forget the menfolk!
- •Or the chickens!
- •LOL Chick Diseases.Suffering chickens aren't funny, just the juxtaposition of "little fellows" and "chicks"....never mind...
- •This is the terrifying part.Regularity was VERY important back then.
- •Although the explanations were quite sexist, imho.I mean, really!
- •Here's their advice for colds.I can't imagine the pain of jamming Vaporole INTO your nostril! 😱
- •In summary, here is the ethereal beauty on the back cover.She uses McNess's Rejois skincare line, don'tcha know!