Inspired by @jaidub
- •Where, oh where to begin?Read this list, and many of its successors and have ALL THE THOUGHTS about this subject. I'll see if I can string them together...
- •I was kinda late to the social media game.Since the mid 1990s, I've loved being online - lurking, reading, researching, being entertained and enlightened. But I never thought anybody cared what I had to say. I've been painfully shy for a long time, and it carried over online. I had posted on some email lists, but didn't really start doing much socially til just a few years ago, and then it was only Facebook.
- •Facebook was for family and my handful of friends.I posted safe, happy things there. Nothing "real," nothing that wasn't positive, friendly, conservative. It's a holdover from growing up as a preacher's kid. I always had to put on a good front, not say anything that would make the church or dad look bad. I was always scared to show folks the real me.
- •Twitter was where I started opening up a little.I "liked" and retweeted things I genuinely liked. I didn't link it with my Facebook so I didn't have to worry about church or family disapproving. Then again, I also didn't say or do much beyond post a couple of "funny" tweets or pictures. Nothing political, nothing honest. Still too scared.
- •But then last October, I saw something on BJ's Twitter (or maybe Instagram) or saw an article somewhere and thought I'd check out this new List App.It looked interesting. Totally new concept. Totally new community, and it seemed to be based on intelligence and creativity, not celebrity or money or politics or popularity.
- •So I downloaded it. And I read. And I was intrigued.
- •I got brave and created an account and started listing.Tiny baby steps at first. No likes, no comments. But I started liking and commenting on other lists. And following. And interacting. And reading.
- •I. Fell. In. Love.This place is somehow magically created to be welcoming, thought-provoking, hysterically funny, educational, heartbreaking and heartwarming all at once.
- •Sure we have our speed bumps and growing pains.There have been arguments and drama and hurt feelings. Some beloved listers have come and gone. We've just seen an huge wave of newbies that scared me at first, but ya know what? We were all newbies once. Cream rises to the top. If the newcomers feel at home with the format and have good things to say, they'll stick around and become our friends. Many have already! If not, they'll drift away and we won't have to worry about it.
- •I think this community as it stands today is a beautiful place.I feel comfortable and accepted here like I never have before socially. It's given me more confidence in real life. I hope, in fact, that I get to carry my list friendships into real life. I am insanely jealous of those who have gone to meet ups and definitely want to go to the next one. I think many of us would be friends in real life, and I would totally give y'all the time of day!
- •Thank you, all of you, for being your warm, lovely, brilliant, awesome selves and making the world so much brighter.
- •💗HAPPY LISTING!💗