Late Night Talk Shows Ranked
Views from a retiree who gets up about 9 a.m. and watches these shows until about noon or so every weekday.
- •1. Late Night with Seth MeyersHis "A Closer Look" commentaries at the top of the show are brilliant, and probably a bit risky since many viewers (not me) don't want such a heavy dose of politics at that hour. I like that he invites his favorite authors on the show, many of them unknown to most viewers, I suspect.
- •2. Conan"Fan Corrections," "Clueless Gamer," Andy Richter - just a few of the reasons I love neurotic, jumpy Conan.
- •3. Late Show with Stephen ColbertA work in progress, for sure, with some bad moves that I suspect came from the new producer, i.e. dragging a Wisconsin woman out of the audience to sit with Stephen to "assist" with a bit. Too many interviews are trimmed in post-production; schedule fewer guests, please. I'm hoping Colbert will find his way and CBS won't constantly tweak the show to try to goose ratings.
- •4. The Nightly Show with Larry WilmoreHe looks like he's having fun, even as critics go after him - for the Comedy Central show and his WHCA dinner performance. I like his roundtable discussions the best. Bad: His "Flat Larry" cardboard cutout running shtick was a ripoff of Howard Stern's "Flat Ronnie" thing. Stay original, Larry.
- •5. The Daily Show with Trevor NoahIt should have been "The Daily Show with Samantha Bee," but I still watch Noah with one eye. (The other one is watching my Twitter feed and Nuzzel headlines. This show isn't worth my full attention.)
- •6. The Late Late Show with James CordenHe's no Craig Ferguson, who *was* my favorite late night talker after Letterman. I hated Carpool Karaoke from the start, the only thing that's brought him any attention. I stopped watching the show a long time ago and now only catch YouTube clips if the guest - say, Aaron Paul - appeals to me.
- •7. The Tonight Show with Jimmy FallonAnother show that I'll only watch in small bites on YouTube, if there's a decent guest. I checked out Fran Lebowitz's recent appearance and loved her response to Fallon's inquiry about not wanting to play a game: "I don't play games. I'm an adult." Grow up, Jimmy, and consider rehab.