Things That Happened While Throwing a Billionaire a Circus-themed Anniversary Party
My circus got hired to throw a big party last week. It's not what we normally do, but we're a non-profit and need profits, so we went for it. It actually turned out great!
- •The dog act nearly bailed because the company manager made a remark to him about his sex life that offended himIt took some cajoling to get him there. His act was a hit.
- •Exchanged so many emails with a professional psychic about what her wardrobe should be for the partyThis was the smallest part of coordinating 60+ performers but might have taken the most time. She probably gets this all the time, but shouldn't a psychic know what costume I want her in?
- •Party planner got so upset with me that the high wire rig had to move six feet to the right.To be fair it wasn't where I wanted it either, but sometimes there are realities to rigging issues that make it either impossible or unsafe to rig in certain spaces. Made for a really unpleasant 36 hours before everyone got used to the change.
- •I was asked to hire a 10-person water ballet group to do a nostalgic 50s style synchronized swimming routine.At one point during their rehearsal I was involved in an absurd group discussion with their captain, the party planner, a pyrotechnics provider that we hired, and a Fire Marshall who was a terrible listener. I got so worked up during this conversation that I had to briefly walk away, which is embarrassing in retrospect.
- •I ate so many arepasExercise followed by this hole-in-the-wall Venezuelan joint, Delicias de la Abuela, was my best chance at maintaining sanity while making this party happen.