Top 5 BREXIT Cheerleaders
The United Kingdom has just voted to LEAVE the European Union. Well, mostly England; Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland opted for REMAIN. Here's a li.st of those who clapped their hands as the English -well, mostly northerners; London and Bristol wanted to STAY - voted to cut their noses to spite their faces.
- 1.Donald TrumpThe Donald lands in Scotland and immediately lauds the Brexit results. The Scots voted overwhelmingly to remain in the EU. Trump gets lit up by the Twitterati and winds up on the receiving end of 'moron' and 'weapons-grade plum'.
- 2.The European Far-RightNational Front leader Marine Le Pen, self-proclaimed queen of Europe's far-right movement congratulates the Brits on their 'independence' from Brussels. The Golden Dawn, Europe's most violent neo-fascist party threatens another round of 'Grexit' talk on the hapless Greeks. Le Pen could end up being a main candidate for president of France next spring. Greece is overrun by refugees from war-torn Syria and Africa. Anti-immigration was the prevailing factor in the Brexit referendum.
- 3.RussiaRussian strongman Vladimir Putin has made no secret of his wish for a weakened Europe. A strong, united and economically-viable EU stands in the way of his desire to reclaim for Russia the lost ground of Eastern Europe. Yet, the looming shadow of Putin could end up being the kryptonite to Eurosceptic Superman. Where the foul odour of race-baiting fail, Vladimir's stink might just be the magic potion that sweeps anti-EU sentiment away.
- 4.IranThe Islamic republic's lofty ambition to become sidekick to Putin's 'Alexander the Great' received a healthy boost from the Brexit vote. In Tehran's wildest wet dream of a movie, while Moscow and Washington fight for the crumbs of a collapsed EU, Iran moves in to scoop up all the burnt toast of the Mideast. I hope they don't forget to write in China, Saudi Arabia and Israel in their movie. Those guys deserve speaking parts.
- 5.The useless, irrelevant LeftSpeaking of movies, the leftist movement has somehow been relegated to a supporting role in this anti-EU fervour. Kinda like Ferris Bueller's best friend, Cameron. Remember him? Second fiddle despite the fact it was his dad's car that they jacked. I guess he wasn't sexy enough. Just like the left. Right? Who wants to talk about neo-liberalism when xenophobia gets all the attention. And just like Cameron, the left has that 'deer-in-the-headlights' look. Oh, well. Better luck next time.