10 Favorite Toys From My Childhood That Mostly Don't Exist Anymore
We're talking about the pre-Atari era. Which ones did you have?
- •MerlinAn early hand-held game consisting only of blinking red dots, but you'd be surprised how many games you can play with blinking red dots. I think it took like 8 AA batteries.
- •Split SecondOne of the first games with a "screen," it had dots AND dashes and even a futuristic target-shooting game.
- •"Star Trek" action figuresAs I recall, their boots and hair were painted on.
- •The Hal Needham Stuntman SetNo electronics, but all kinds of break-away awesomeness.
- •"The Six Million Dollar Man" Steve Austin Action FigureYou could remove the computer panel from his bionic arm and see through his bionic eye.
- •"Space: 1999" Eagle"Space: 1999" was a trippy English sci-fi series, and I loved how serious and kind of sexy it was.
- •Mattel Electronic FootballMore blinking dots, but man was this fun. If it doesn't seem like fun to you, you've never played it.
- •Stretch ArmstrongEventually we cut him open because we had to see the goo.
- •Mouse Trap Board GameMore toy than game. A lot of fun until you inevitably start losing pieces.
- •ViewmasterThis took us all to amazing places we'd never been. Considering the low tech, it's still a great visual experience.