How to Cut Carbs at Restaurants Even When You're Still Eating Carbs
I'm not an all-or-nothing guy -- I love to eat -- so this is about cutting carbs when and where I can without truly sacrificing the food I love (And by the way, a real man doesn't ask someone to scoop his bagel).
- •SubwayGet a six-inch with double meat instead of a foot long. Just as much protein and taste; half as much bread.
- •Bagel with LoxI order it normally, but toss out the top half of the bagel so I'm eating it topless. Just as good, but skipping an entire bagel half.
- •Pastrami on RyeToss the top half of bread and just make one really tall (or normally tall if you've been to a NYC deli) half-sandwich. Again, all the meat but half the bread.
- •PizzaTough one, but I try to stick to one slice and don't eat the crust just because it's still in my hand.
- •BreakfastAsk for just one slice of toast with your eggs. You won't really miss the other one. By the way, I get spinach instead of potatoes, but that may be too hard for some of you.
- •ChipotleSalad or bowl instead of burrito. Lettuce instead of rice. Double meat so I'm not hungry later. 80% satisfaction; 0% tortilla.
- •Hot DogIf it fits, cut the dog in half and put both halves in half a bun. Toss out any pieces of left-over bun after the hot dog is consumed -- don't just eat them because they're there.
- •Dinner SaladYou and I both know you can live without those croutons.
- •DonutSorry. I've got nothing for you. But at least there's a hole.