Seven Types of Airplane Passengers Who Make Me Feel Safer
I'm sure being in a plane crash is rare and random, but these things do comfort me somewhat.
- •Priests or NunsI'm not particularly religious, but just in case I'm wrong...
- •Another Pilot Who's a PassengerA passenger-pilot makes me feel very safe, as if he has the ability to choose safer flights. It's also nice to know there's a second pilot... just in case. But I'll never look at him. It's one thing to see a nervous passenger, but another to see a pilot whose expression says "something isn't right."
- •KidsIt just seems like God wouldn't be so cruel as to let something bad happen to a little kid. Though if the kid is really misbehaving, I begin to think it's more likely something bad will happen. Even Santa has a naughty list.
- •Thinking about SullySometimes, everyone lives to talk about it.
- •A Celebrity of Any StatureIt just seems unlikely something bad would happen to me AND a celebrity on the same flight. On my plane from Austin yesterday, Erik "The Lizardman" Sprague was aboard, and even he made me feel calmer.
- •A Mild Mannered Tough GuyEven if he's not an Air Marshall, he can probably put down a hijacker or three if the situation calls for it.
- •A Beautiful WomanDoesn't make me feel safer so much as simply distract me.