What to Tell Your Kids When There's a Mass Shooting
Too often, we think our role is to explain tragedies to young kids, but first they need to hear something else. This comes from my experience running a news website for kids, especially during 9/11
- 1.You are safe.
- 2.Your local police are dedicated to keeping you safe.
- 3.Your state is dedicated to keeping you safe.
- 4.Your government is dedicated to keeping you safe.
- 5.For many reasons, some people want to hurt other people.
- 6.Most everyone in your community and your country thinks this is wrong and are trying hard to find new ways to keep it from happening again.
- 7.We are getting better and better at that.
- 8.Now let's turn off that television and go outside.