Things I Miss About Dating
I've been with my husband for 15 years, and while I wouldn't give it up for anything, there are a few things I honestly miss about dating.
- •Seeing people's apartmentsIt's like going to a real estate open house, but you don't have to sign in on the little sheet. Plus it's kind of messy and lived in. And wait: I have that same IKEA table!
- •The short bioHow people recap the 20-odd years that happened before this first date is really revealing.
- •Taking out the wingmanThe friend of the really hot guy is generally more interesting anyway.
- •Background researchI got out of the game before Facebook and Twitter, but even in those early internet days I was good at recon.
- •Learning about people's jobsI'm pretty much the interviewer on the Working podcast.
- •Wait, was that flirting?You know how Brad Pitt has face-blindness? I couldn't tell when someone was flirting. Maybe it was low self-esteem, but I would often realize days later that a guy was hitting on me. But I sort of miss my flirting autism.
- •The 10 minutes after having sex the first timeSometimes a really good conversation. Sometimes really awkward. Sometimes just a refractory period before round two. Regardless, the ice has been broken.
- •Seeing how they liked my dogI had an awesome pug. If they didn't like him, this wasn't going to work out.
- •Terrible dates that make good anecdotesThis one guy was really rich and said, "You're the kind of guy my therapist wants me to date. I could get you a trainer and better clothes, but you can't fix someone's soul."
- •Guessing what people look like nakedAnd then getting to find out.