Strangest Ways I've Made Money.. At Least That I'm Willing to Share in Writing..
Okay, I can neither confirm nor deny if I've ever done anything illegal or sketchy. But here are some of the ways that I'm willing to share!
- •Traded an iPod for friend's entire CD collection - most sold for $5 but several for $20-30What was cool was that the friend got to take his music collection on an around the world sailing trip, and I got to make some cash from winning that iPod.. Life works in mysterious ways!
- •Caught a business illegally showing a boxing match on hidden cameraFelt like a spy and was afraid if I got caught, I might be missing kneecaps..
- •Taking photos of local restaurants and businesses with my smart phoneBasically, an online Yelp-like site needed content to launch - some folks (especially Asians) were paranoid and refused to let me take pictures. Sometimes I was fast enough to do it before they could kick me out!
- •Playing lifeguard for navy student pilots (ironic because I was about to be in their shoes) and working on a sailboat before flight trainingAh, the "Great Wait" - Reagan's mighty 600 ship navy was about to get downsized, so they didn't know what to do with a bunch of us recruited..
- •DJ for Argentine tango events and even performing with my Swedish dance partner for a Latino associationDid I mention that I'm Chinese..? Yeah, tango's been such a catalyst in my life - taking me to amazing places, meeting incredible people and just opening my eyes to a world I didn't know existed! Http://bit.ly/oh-tango
- •Climbing on top of shopping malls and office buildingsThey told me to be careful what you get good at.. I didn't listen! So, somehow I ended up all over the place inspecting buildings - http://bit.ly/not-dream-job
- •Sold a five-dollar bill for $275Years ago, I got a funny looking five out of an ATM and held on to it.. Ended up selling it on eBay!
- •Drove over 350 miles to film a guy talkingLong & short of it, guy needed a video made, so I shot it on my iPad and recorded his voice on my smartphone.. Don't ask me how I got this gig.. Not sure how I get most of these!
- •Getting my arm (luckily fake) ripped off for a music video (see photo)So, the Black Keys needed RZA to tear my arm off. They sent me to a SFX guys who were cool. Not sure if these links work.. But here it is - https://youtu.be/OJ8Gtx45Fmc
- •Stumbling on a church event (festival) in Little Italy of New York City as a kid and winning moneyTo this day I'm still not sure how legal it was for a minor to play, much less win money - usually, I know that casinos would take back their money and again, I'm glad to still have my kneecaps!