TIPS FOR TRAVELING IN GUATEMALA
Thanks for the suggestion @laurenfinley. Feel free to contribute your own tips.
- •Bring Imodium .Even if you avoid drinking the water, there is a good chance you will be spending extra time in the restroom.
- •Spend a couple days at the lake.Lake Atitlan is beautiful, and definitely worth a visit. But it isn't enough to to do a day trip. Take a couple days to explore the lake and the surrounding villages.
- •Splurge on a hotel with air conditioning.If you are staying in Flores (or near Tikal) during summer, stay at a place with air conditioning. It gets very hot and very humid. If you want any energy to see the sights, you will need respite from the heat.
- •Haggle haggle haggle.You will probably want to return home with some merch. Haggling is popular and expected in Guatemala. Only suckers pay sticker price.
- •Avoid the tour guides around Lake Atitlan.They just try to get you to buy their buddies' stuff.