Speech ClichÉs I Can't Stand
And yes, I've used many (most?) of these myself. Forgive me Language, for I have sinned.
- •My fellow Americans...Imagine if we greeted each other with the phrase, "People who share my nationality, hello!" Same thing.
- •Let me be clear:Who's stopping you, pal?
- •Middle-class families who work hard and play by the rulesDo better than a 25 years old Clintonism. Also, can anyone name a single rule?
- •I say to you today:Or you could just say it
- •I believe America's best days are still aheadReally going out on a limb there, huh?
- •I want to reach across the aisleThe only time anyone ever uses the word aisle is in reference to their seat on an airplane
- •It is time to come togetherEveryone, all at once
- •Build a better future for the next generationBlah blah blah blah blah blah
- •We can do betterYes, we can (zing)
- •God Bless you, and may God Bless the United States of AmericaI'm sure He was on the fence until you said that, so thanks for putting in a good word
- •Four score and seven years ago...Just say "87 years ago" you elitist.Suggested by @Nicholas
- •"Can I ask you a question?" -you'll need two, buddy!Suggested by @HubertLubert
- •But at the end of the day...Suggested by @alibaron
- •"Everyday Americans"As opposed to, you know, every other day Americans.Suggested by @Igor