Things That Have Surprised Me About Los Angeles
I moved here in October after 10 years in DC and 20 outside of Boston, and I'm not going back.
- •I spent far more minutes per day swearing profusely in DC traffic than I do here.
- •I don't miss the seasons and no longer believe people who say otherwise.
- •People drink less here, and I think they're on to something.
- •I can walk to Starbucks.
- •I cannot walk or drive to Dunkin' Donuts because only one exists, in Santa Monica. This is so far the worst thing about LA.
- •This isn't any more of an industry town than DC or San Francisco (or NY), and feels less so because it's more spread out.
- •This place looks like a ghost town before 10am. Maybe 11 on Saturdays.
- •I miss crowds and noise and speed and busyness so much less than I thought I would.
- •I've found the paparazzi to be super chill and respectful of my space.
- •I feel no anxiety about avoiding work to sit outside and respond to a list request at 4:30pm on a Monday