🎬 Movies I actually saw in a theater that were flops ❌ or bombs 💣
This list will feature only those movies that opened or played in at least 1,000 theaters and grossed under $20 million domestic. And which I feel deserve their flop status.
- •Wing Commander (1999)My buddy Nick was a fan of the video game, I was not. I don't remember much at all about this movie specifically other than Saffron Burrows is very pretty.
- •House Arrest (1996)A bunch of suburban kids lock up their parents in basement to force them to work out marital problems. So many talented people slumming it in this: Kevin Pollack, Jamie Lee Curtis, Wallace Shawn, Christopher McDonald, Jennifer Tilly.
- •Gordy (1995)Yeah, there was another talking pig movie in 1995. My grandmother wanted to see it so we took her for Mother's Day. She had recently been diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer so we would have let her get away with murder at that point, and from what I can remember of this movie I would have preferred that.
- •Cops & Robbersons (1994)Jack Palance was winding down from his post-"City Slickers" career resurgence and Chevy Chase was taking any job that helped fuel his drug habit. Thankfully I don't remember much about this movie except that it was terrible.
- •Cutthroat Island (1995)I was pumped for an entertaining big-budget pirate movie, but had to another 8 years before Pirates of the Caribbean was released. This one was for the fishes.
- •Baby's Day Out (1994)This was painful. I would have left it and snuck into see something else, but I remember my younger brother and cousin falling asleep. I was not so lucky.
- •Vampire in Brooklyn (1995)My childhood was filled with many great Eddie Murphy movies and Wes Craven movies. This failed on both counts.
- •Fair Game (1995)This movie was released the same year I first used the Internet. While I appreciated seeing Cindy Crawford topless on screen, I soon found other ways sate my desires and curiosities that didn't involve terrible B-movies.
- •School for Scoundrels (2006)Featuring many wasted comedic talents this was a dud that rehashed & mashed up too many comedic cliches.
- •The Astronaut's Wife (1999)Flimsy sci-fi premise executed dreadfully and completely wastes the talent of Johnny Depp & Charlize Theron.
- •Battlefield Earth (2000)This film technically grossed just over $20 million domestic, but it is still considered one of the biggest bombs of all time. I am so embarrassed to admit that I saw this movie at all, let alone in a theater. I went with a friend, who persuaded me to see it with him instead of "Gladiator" because he had already seen "Gladiator" and didn't want to see it again. Bad choice. I'm no longer friends with that person. Not because of this specifically, but it sure didn't help matters.