MY LIFE IN TEN SONGS, make that TWELVE SONGS
Inspired by @nathanveshecco
- 1.Neil Young - "I Am A Child"My mother's biggest musical obsession is Neil Young, she raised us on steady dose of his music and it is as much the soundtrack of my youth as anything.
- 2.Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Soul To Squeeze"I connected to this song as soon as I first heard it. Tried to cover it in every half assed garage band I've been in. Still sing it to myself all the time.
- 3.Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band - "Thunder Road"In high school I got really into Springsteen and delved into his earliest and deepest work. Of course I fell madly in love with "Born to Run" and especially this track which often wanders through my mind anytime I'm feeling bold in love, or anytime I wish I was.
- 4.Gang Starr - "Above the Clouds"This is the song I most identify with my late brother Travis. He was not quite two years younger than me. This song played on a skate tape he watched frequently and we loved this album.
- 5.War - "Low Rider"Shortly after my brother died this song came on the radio and saved my life, but that is a longer story for another time. Simply put, it reminded that not all that was once good would be ruined forever.
- 6.Gillian Welch - "Wayside/Back in Time"I swear she wrote this song and sang it just for me. Takes the thoughts and words right out of my mind.
- 7.Ben Kweller - "Penny on a Train Track"A song about the struggle to grow up while still being attracted to romantic recklessness of youth.
- 8.Bobby Darin - "More"I don't even remember where my affection of this began, but I put it on a mix CD that I gave a girl when I asked her out for a date. She listened to the CD before our date and later told me that when this song played she suddenly imagined that we would dance to it at our wedding. A little over two years later we did exactly that, this was played during our first dance.
- 9.The Beatles - "Something"A song that was permeating my mind and soul when I fell in love. I agree with Frank Sinatra that is one of the greatest love songs ever written.
- 10.Willie Nelson - "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain"The most beautiful sad song ever. Her eyes are blue. And probably crying. Maybe even in the rain.
- 11.Warren Zevon - "Keep Me in Your Heart"Another beautiful sad song from someone who perfected the craft. I've never had a bad cry to this song.
- 12.Iggy Pop - "Success"Long ago I was listening to "Lust for Life" one of my favorite albums, and suddenly I decided I wanted this song to be played at my funeral. I have no idea if when that day comes this song being played would be ironic or not.