What I will and won't miss about grad school
Now that I've finished the last full-time semester of my Masters:
- 1.Won't: the schlep from Philly to NYCSo long Megabus and BoltBus. It's been real.
- 2.Will: the long weekends at homeGot to spend lots of quality time with my wife and my dog. Cherished every second.
- 3.Won't: the food on campusExcept the boba tea, which was killer
- 4.Will: overhearing undergrad conversationsThere's something really sweet and innocent about the way a freshman thinks the world will end if she doesn't finish reading the Iliad.
- 5.Won't: overhearing MBA conversationsDude, I don't care who was at the bar last night, nor do I care about your buddy who got an offer from Goldman. Also, why are you shouting this in a library?
- 6.Will: being exposed to new ideasI learned a lot this year, and was able to patch some major gaps in my computer science / statistics knowledge base. I also got exposure to the state of the art in Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing, all of which is super complicated but truly fascinating
- 7.Won't: feeling stupid for not understanding something right away, or knowing less than othersWhen you're surrounded by the best and brightest, you can't help but feel inferior occasionally.