Key Points About Yiddish
There's something really heymish (homey, comfortable) about ListApp, so I figured I should do my professional duty on this.
- •It is a language.No, not a dialect of German.
- •It's about a thousand years old.Give or take.
- •It's no cuter (dirtier, sweeter, etc) than any other language.All languages allow their speakers to express a full range of human emotions. Shut up, neo-Sapir-Whorfians.
- •Lots of people still speak it.Over 150,000 in the U.S. in 2010. Mostly religious people, yes, but not entirely.
- •It has a rich, wonderful literature.Tens of thousands of books. Come see them, if you're in the neighborhood.
- •Lenny Bruce did not really speak it.Which is not a criticism of him.
- •It's pretty easy to learn.Especially if you already know English and the Hebrew alphabet.
- •מ׳קען שרייבן אויף יידיש דא.א מחיה!
- •The book "Boychics In The Hood" will give you a sense of how language unlocks doors that nothing else can.Some day, I'll tell you about meeting the author at a Shabbes Table in Berlin.Suggested by @evan