TOP 10 MEMBERS OF US WOMENS WORLD CUP TEAM, RANKED BY IMPORTANCE
Game 1 is tonight against Australia, so let's get to know the Americans.
- •Abby WambachStriker. Most goals for any American woman ever. Heart and soul (and head) of the USWNT. Has never won a World Cup even though she's been the consensus best player in the world for many years. Most likely to receive 95% of news coverage.
- •Hope SoloGoalkeeper. Tumultuous off the field but a rock wall on the field. Can buoy USWNT in games if they are having a bad game. Most likely to be taken off team.
- •Alex MorganStriker. A question mark for health reasons, but the team will need her speed and scoring when defense bear down on Abby. Most likely to be receiver of Abby passing the torch.
- •Julie JohnstonDefense. Uber important central link of the defensive chain. A recent addition to starting lineup, and with her the defense has allowed just 1 goal in its last 5 games. Most likely to be the blue collar hero.
- •Carli LloydMidfielder. Has scored 2 Olympic finals game winners. A veteran team leader and someone who's position means the ball is on her foot most. BONUS POINTS- told her fiancé and family to stay home from the Cup because this is a business trip. BAD ASS!
- •Megan RapinoeOutside midfielder. Spark plug best known for serving up the iconic header to Abby in 2011 WC in the 122nd minute. Most likely to be easiest to spot on the field with her short, bleach blonde hair.
- •Sydney LerouxStriker. May be thrust into starter role with Alex Morgan injury. Canadian born. Stronger, faster, and grittier than almost anyone else in the World Cup. Most likely to get into a dust up with Team Canada or its fans.
- •Christen PressMidfielder. another newcomer to the USWNT. Offensively oriented midfielder who can score. Most likely to make a major name for herself.
- •Lauren HolidayMidfielder. Playing out of position as a defensive midfielder because of her offensive distribution tactics. Most likely unsung hero.
- •Tobin HeathMidfielder. Super sub bringing energy, ball handling, and experience. Most likely to make a jaw dropping move with the ball.