I bought a Fitbit...
...and this is what I noticed after wearing it for a day.
- •I wore it to bed so it could monitor my sleep.How does it do this? What if I was just sitting really still for 8 hours? Does it notice how many times I get up to go to the loo during the night?
- •Apparently, I use an average of 12 steps to go to the loo and then get back to bed.Just FYI.
- •I used the alarm feature to 'gently wake me up'.It woke me up with a weird vibrating pattern. I can't say I liked it. Might just stick to my conventional method of three staggered alarms with several snoozes on my phone to gently and gradually wake me.
- •I went to the gym in the morning and hopped on the treadmill for a brisk walk through British Columbia.The treadmill said I burned 158 calories but my Fitbit said I'd burned 391 calories. I'm going with the Fitbit.
- •I tried to find excuses throughout the day to walk extra steps.So, I've just had half a glass of water, should I go pee? The bathrooms at work are a bit of a walk. That could really boost my steps. I did this several times throughout the day. People probably thought I had a problem with my bladder. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
- •Shall I come to your office?No, really, I'll walk to yours. I don't mind.
- •Lunch time and I thought I'd try out a new eatery a bit further away from work.Naturally, I walked. It was on the way back that I received the buzz to let me know I'd hit the 10,000 step mark! Fantastic! Everyone can carry me around for the rest of the day now.
- •Throughout the afternoon, I still took every opportunity to walk around the office as much as I could.My co-workers found it a little odd that I'd walk from my office to theirs just to use their stapler. Especially since I had a perfectly good stapler in my office already. But what are you going do? Steps are steps.
- •So, at the end of the day, I'm pretty pleased with myself and my results.As you can see, there's a lot of green lines. And green is good, yes?
- •I'd be interested to see what tomorrow's results will be like.Tomorrow is Saturday and I estimate around 400 steps will be taken. It might be useful to track my naps. (Actually, I have a very busy day planned. I have a hairdressers appointment, various housework chores to attend to and I'll be mowing the yard, so there'll probably be green lines as well).
- •Overall, I quite like my new Fitbit.I think it gives me motivation to move more and gets me excited when I reach my goals. Don't think I'll use the food tracker feature though, cause typing in everything I eat sounds too painful to do. Although that might stop me from eating it. 😏
- •The verdict? I recommend.