MY GREATEST TRIUMPH 🌻
Inspired by @ListPrompts
- •Once upon a time, many MANY years ago, back when I was in high school, I was enrolling for new subjects in grade 11 and 12.I have absolutely no idea the corresponding high school equivalent in the US. It's the last two years anyway.
- •One of my career options that I was considering at the time was as an architect.I ended up going completely in another direction, but that's for another story/list.
- •I was studying Graphics (technical drawing), which I was quite good at, if I do say so myself.I was consistently getting A's. Pretty happy.
- •There was a new subject being offered called Technical Studies. It was primarily a design subject.My Graphics teacher recommended I take it. He thought it would be good for me, given the career direction I was thinking of going into.
- •Basically, each semester, you would think of a problem that needed solving, come up with a creative solution and then make it using any combination of shop A (woodwork) or B (metalwork).Or it could have been anything really, they were very open to suggestions.
- •I was assured/promised that there would be an even mix of boys and girls in this class.This was important to me because I was PAINFULLY shy in high school. I was incredibly awkward.
- •Imagine my horror on Day 1 to find that I was the ONLY girl in a class of about 40.
- •I considered giving up and dropping out of the subject.
- •This was my only thought during the first two weeks.
- •But I stuck with it.
- •Even though no one would even talk to me.Except for the teacher. Which didn't help me much
- •Even though throughout those two years I was constantly laughed at by all the boys in the class."Oooh, let's all laugh at her sawing a piece of wood or welding some metal together." Not smart when you think about it boys. I was armed. I could have snapped at any time over your ridicule.
- •Fast forward two years and as it turns out, I earn the highest grade in the entire class.
- •That's right, I wipe the smugness off all their faces and beat every single one of them.Girl Power!
- •My theory for this achievement is that since no one would talk to me, I had no choice but to actually do the work.
- •But still, I took out the subject prize in some lame high school ceremony at the end of it all, which made me happy at the time.
- •And that's it really. I peaked in high school and it's been a long slow decline ever since.