What I've noticed while working in Deceased Estates
I work in the Deceased Estates area of a bank. I've been there for 3 months so far, here's a running list of what I've noticed.
- •The oldest person I've created a file for was 105 when he died. The youngest was 16.
- •It will always be very upsetting to me to see the amount of people who have suicide listed as their cause of death. And how they do it.
- •Some people are creative when writing their will. The one that sticks in my mind the most was typed in comic sans font and described how she would come back and haunt her family if they didn't follow her exact wishes regarding food served at her wake.
- •Funerals are expensive!
- •I really should get my will sorted out. I don't have one yet.
- •I'm not sure why people who ring the bank about their loved one's accounts think we are also grief counsellors. But I do my best.
- •I had to check some transactions on an account I was closing and I noticed that in the week leading up to their death they visited the grocery store and went to the hairdressers. Did they know at the time that this would be the last time they would do these things?