Stories in Cabbages & Kings 17
I host a podcast talking about reading Science Fiction & Fantasy. The latest episode recommended a lot of great short stories (http://www.cabbagesandkings.audio/podcast/17-dudes-with-swords)
- •A Song For You (in Terraform, by Jennifer Brissett) http://motherboard.vice.com/read/a-song-for-youStory about a young girl who meets a robot head in a field
- •The Great Silence by Ted Chiang - http://supercommunity.e-flux.com/texts/the-great-silence/A story that looks at the radio telescope in Arecibo searching for extraterrestrial life, and its absence (The Great Silence)
- •Ether (by Zhang Ran in Clarkesworld) - http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/zhang_01_15/Dystopian near-future story about the intersections of technology and human connection. Translated from Chinese.
- •Tongtong's Summer (by Xia Jia in Clarkesworld) - http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/xia_12_14_reprint/Optimistic near-future story about the intersections of technology and human connection. Translated from Chinese.
- •The Half-Dark Promise by Malon Edwards in Shimmer Magazine - http://www.shimmerzine.com/the-half-dark-promise-by-malon-edwards/Alternate Chicago story about a girl with a clockwork heart and a frightening walk home. Voice is incredibly compelling
- •Two Stories by Sunny Moraine in notesCold as the Moon - http://www.strangehorizons.com/2014/20140818/moon-f.shtml and A Shadow on the Sky - http://mythicdelirium.com/?page_id=2788 Moraine is another author who's voice shines through
- •Two stories by Wole TalabiCrocodile Ark - http://omenana.com/2014/11/30/crocodile-ark/ and Eye - http://liquidimagination.silverpen.org/article/eye-wole-talabi/
- •Makeisha in Time by Rachael K Jones in Crossed GenresTime traveling story about the ways history is rewritten. http://crossedgenres.com/magazine/020-makeisha-in-time/