GREAT THINGS ABOUT MY MOM
I'm going to see her in like five hours and truly, she's a gem
- 1.she's only ever worn one shade of lipstickit's Borghese in Flamingo Gold and some of my earliest memories are of her carefully applying it to my cheeks and lips for ballet recitals in kindergarten. it was a Special Occasion thing and when I got tall enough to climb and raid her medicine cabinets it was the first thing I explored
- 2.she really loves animalsshe rode horses through high school and still loves the smell of barns and had a German Shepard and bred puppies and considers our current black lab her neediest child
- 3.she really loves artshe took AP art and was an English major and has really lovely handwriting and had a period where she made purses out of old cigar boxes in our basement as an art project
- 4.she's a criershe can't say the word "Titanic" without tearing up
- 5.she's a cancer survivorshe called her stage 2 colorectal cancer "god's little kick in her ass"
- 6.FYI Tiffany's has a perfume and that is what she wearsthe smell reminds me of the gentle clink of pearl necklaces that would brush me when she would lean in to hug me goodnight after coming from a fancy party with my dad
- 7.she has a great sense of humorI was raised on Monty Python, Sid Caesar, and Johnny Carson VHS tapes due to her influence. she told a bunch of dirty jokes for her father's eulogy because that's what they both wanted.
- 8.she really loves my dadand he really loves her. we're at the point in our relationship where she can complain about him to me and you can just tell that they're still in stupid love despite all the dumb stuff he does. THEY SHARE AN EMAIL ACCOUNT GUYS
- 9.she really loves her kidsshe had a not good relationship with her mom for a while and didn't have any siblings, so she put 110% into our family's stability and happiness from the first day of her marriage. the 4 of us are all Irish twins (lol) and she gave up her career for 12 years to stay at home with our 4 insane and frustrating selves. she has a house free of kids for the first time in 23 years and that's tough for her
- 10.she has weird pet namesthe dog is "chicken" or just "The Dog," I am "chicken-licken", all children are "sweet-pea". she doesn't have a southern accent except when she's pissed and she says "dog" like a Camden dock worker but I've inherited her dumb baby voice for talking to the dog
- 11.she just texted me asking what food I want when I come homeshe still has a flip phone and signs every text and email "xxxooomom"
- 12.she's a mom to othersshe's a psychologist by trade and I've sent a lot of friends to her for advice and love and they all come back and tell me she's awesome and I'm like YEAH I KNOW!!!! her frank conversations about our family and mental health have helped me in my own journey and she's always been pro- therapy, pro- medication, pro- "do what you need to do to function and be happy"
- 13.quick to anger, quick to forgiveI get my temper from her, but I also get my readiness to move on. all of the women in the matriarchal line in my family are FIESTY af.
- 14.she wears white flannel nightgowns year roundidek guys but they're very soft