Getting out of myself
I am a rememberer, a delver, a keeper of the past. When I think of past wrongs committed against me sometimes I get lost in the memories and feelings and emotions and find it hard to get out. Here is the best technique I know to bring me back to the present.
- •Engage all five sensesThere's a river in a forest not too far from where I live. It's truly my happy place! I "take" myself there and ask the following questions:
- •What do I smell?The sweet, tingly scent of pine and sometimes smoke from a campfire
- •What do I see?Sunshine glinting on the water, blue sky, green trees, brown earth.
- •What do I hear?Rushing water, insects buzzing, an occasional bird, a car passing on the gravel road, my feet crunching across the rocks.
- •What do I taste?Egg salad sandwich or soup from a canteen, grapes, soda water, mint from flossing.
- •What do I feel?The rock I'm sitting on that juts out into the water freshly warmed by the sun, freezing water on my feet, the sun on my face, a gentle breeze.
- •Just writing this I feel like I can breathe a little easier. I hope you can too!