TIPS FOR THROWING A PITY PARTY
- •Keep the invite list small. Preferably zero. Dogs welcome. Children should be left at home.
- •Buy more wine than you think you will need. It is so embarrassing if you run out.
- •Theme of the cuisine: comfort food, whatever that means for you. My personal favorite for a mid summertime pity party is popsicles. Not for dessert. For dinner! Because you're an adult (sort of).
- •Dress code: PJs or "workout" attire
- •Music: this is not a time for pop. Stick to wallowing classics. Jazz or acoustic singer/songwriters are perennial favorites.
- •Entertainment: television. If you have traditional cable TV, turn on the remote and leave it on whatever is already on. This is not a time to make decisions. For cord cutters, I recommend leaning into nostalgia. Friends on Netflix, for example, is a sure fire winner.
- •Lastly, it's your party and you can cry if you want to. But don't, your mascara will run.