J.K. ROWLING'S NEW FAVO(U)RITE WORD
Shall we take a vote?
- •First, the backstory:
- •I met my childhood heroine at a book signing in 2013.
- •After inching to the front of a ninety-minute line, I stammered a question: to ask Jo what her favorite word would be.
- •Without missing a beat, she said that her favorite word was "nebulous." But that she was "getting rather tired of it, and in need of a new one."
- •And then we took a picture in which my face is shiny but also shining and I was ushered away down the line.
- •I know, I know.
- •Even sans occlumency, I can read your minds:
- •YOU JUST REALIZED THAT I MISSED MY OPPORTUNITY TO SUGGEST A NEW FAVORITE WORD TO THIS WORLD'S MOST EMINENT WORD WIZARD.
- •If Jo's next project is titled "The Nebulous Nebula" I only have myself to blame.
- •So, better late than never, here's my list.Peruse and contribute!
- •Goorfghd: adj— The meaningless nodding description of all restaurant food when the waiter returns to your table one second after your first enormous scalding bite.
- •Elbohockeyjockey: verb— to casually battle a stranger for elbow control over the armrest between you, thus determining who is the superior human being going farther in life.
- •Chalant: adj— to care deeply aboutI am fully done with the word and the idea of being "nonchalant". Care about shit, people!
- •F'earphones: noun— a new name for the headphone earbuds that protect us from this world's scariest things: silence, boredom, and social interactions with strangers.
- •Welph: noun— The word I just invented to describe this always relevant internet shrug ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
- •Congumption: noun— the proud, exhausted feeling of successfully completing a long (late) listOr perhaps, several hundred pages of a best-selling novel 📚✅