WHY IS THERE SO MUCH OVERLAP BETWEEN MUSICIANS AND PROGRAMMERS?
- •Both disciplines require you to get comfortable with powers of two
- •Manual dexterity is highly prized in both music and programming
- •They're both skills that require dedicated practice that's easy to dismiss as talent or prodigy.
- •Theoretically sound classical composition feels a lot like programmingMy completely unscientific supposition is that these two things work on the same area of the brain.
- •Programmers and musicians are both obsessed with the cross section of science and art.
- •Programming is a skill set that lends itself well to playing around with music digitally.
- •They're both skills that are susceptible to rusting.
- •Both the programming and the musical communities are prone to insular, cliquish behavior. The culture feels familiar going from one to the other.
- •People who study music eventually need to find a skill to pay the bills