HISTORIC EVENTS OF A GENERATION
I was reading about the new OJ Simpson trial miniseries when I realized I could remember instantly where I was when they announced the verdict. Which made me think about other historic events that were so indelible I can remember exactly where I was when I heard the news. Where were you when you heard the news about these historic events?
- •OJ Simpson verdict10th grade Math. We watched them hand down the verdict on tv during class.
- •Michael Jackson's deathI was at Tequila's Mexican Restaurant for karaoke night.
- •September 11, 2011I walked into my IMCO 105 class in Johnson Hall and people were gathered under the tv watching events unfold. We were all watching together when the second plane flew into the tower.
- •Space Shuttle Challenger Disaster, 1986The 30th anniversary was just the other day, 1/28. I was in gym class (4th grade) and we were sitting in our squads when there was an announcement over the PA for us to return to our classroom. We were told about the explosion then and watched news coverage on TV.Suggested by @ladyprofessor
- •Oklahoma City bombingFirst year of law school studying with friends and one of my classmates got the news. She was a former federal agent in that area and knew many of the victims.Suggested by @loriatx
- •When Saddam Hussein was captured December 2003I was in a corner cafe in Paris and his crazy, homeless looking head was on the tv screen. I hadn't mastered French well enough to understand the frenzied newscaster announcing that he'd been caught.Suggested by @amieshmamie
- •Obama electedI tried to stay up all night to find out the results of the election, but I fell asleep. When I woke up, my mother told me how we had elected the first black president.Suggested by @MatthewAlmont
- •Princess Diana's deathMy family was over at our house for my 10th birthday. I remember watching the news coverage of the crash and then the anchor looked off camera and then announced that she had died.Suggested by @hermionegranger
- •Aaliyah's deathI was at my 30th birthday party.Suggested by @angusisley
- •Y2K. I was in Budapest with my first love, we were on a trolley that was got stuck in the street due to throngs of revelers so everyone poured out and we found our way to the bank of the Danube where we watched fireworks being shot up into the foggy sky and exploding just beyond visibilitySuggested by @edge