THE TIME I CAME FACE TO FACE WITH AN OSTRICH IN MY SUBURBAN TOWN
Inspired by @bexbexbex
- •Circa 1999, my roommate, Jen, and I were on the way back to our dorm from Walmart,
- •Where I had purchased a cd single of Sixpence None the Richer's Kiss Me.
- •We were listening to it on repeat, crooning along.
- •🎶"Oh, Kiss me. Beneath the milky twilight. Lead me. Out on the moonlit floor." 🎶
- •When traffic started slowing to a stop all around us.
- •I looked out my window just as an ostrich ran by, just barely fitting between my truck and the car next to me.
- •Slowly, Jen and I turned to look at each other like "Did you just see what I just saw?"
- •We looked back out the window.
- •And a man, pedaling furiously, rode past on a bicycle, chasing the ostrich.
- •The ostrich and the man disappeared just as quickly as they appeared.
- •Traffic started moving again.
- •And now, every time I hear "Kiss Me" by Sixpence None the Richer I think of that strange day, the ostrich, and his bicycle riding friend.