Common Spelling & Grammar Errors That Bring Me to Tears
I know we all (?) get huffy over the to/two/too/your/you're/than/then debacles, but these are the seemingly innocent misuses that make me want to fling myself off a cliff. And yes, that says WAY more about me than anyone who makes these mistakes. This is the bitchiest list I will ever write I'm so sorry everyone
- •"_____ and I's"Why why whyyywyywhwy WHYYY hearing/reading this makes me physically uncomfortable ugh why can't you just use "and my" or a good ol' collective "our" instead of this abomination?????
- •Apart vs a part^^^see impassioned FB status for details
- •Adding an apostrophe to a non-possessive pluralIf one more person refers to my family as "The McGarry's" instead of just the McGarrys I'm gonna lose my damn mind WHY
- •"Babby" instead of babyAre you fucking kidding me with this one guys?? I have seen grown adults with jobs consistently use babby instead of baby and I don't understand???? BABBY???? What is this????
- •Rogue apostrophes anywhereOh my god world PLEASE learn when to use an apostrophe it is literally so easy????? I have threatened to walk out of establishments that post signs with improper apostrophe usage.
- •"Woah" instead of whoaOh my god this drives me crazy for absolutely no reason but I legitimately want to call the cops every time I see "woah" anywhere.
- •"Sneak peak"UNLESS YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT A SKETCHY ASS MOUNTAIN PLEASE USE "PEEK"
- •"Legitly"Legit is short for "legitmately" which is already an adverb? So you could just use that instead???? I'm so confused by this
- •"Definately/defiantly" instead of definitelyI understand "definately" more because I can see that being confusing but doesn't autocorrect pick it up? Do you just see that red dotted line and think "whoops Siri must be a fucking moron" and leave it?? I'm seriously about to break out in hives looking at that red line right now because I want to fix it DAMN.
- •"Wierd" instead of weirdSee above
- •Not using an Oxford commaI don't understand why you wouldn't use one?????? It only serves to clarify tbh, you can't make something MORE confusing with an Oxford comma.
- •"Wah la" instead of voilàThis is so nitpicky and unnecessary (aren't all of these?) but I truly cannot stand seeing "WAH LA!!!!" written out. I legitimately thought it was a battle cry like "ooh rah" or something
- •Excessive punctuation (or lack thereof) for effectLOL jk
- •"Sneak peak" instead of sneak peekY'all talking about a stealthy mountain or an early preview?