DISNEY MOTHERS WHO AREN'T DEAD 📁🎄
(#draftmas) Of the approximately 108 Disney movie classics, only 16 feature protagonists with living mothers. There's a whole thing about Walt Disney dealing with his mom's death, and to be fair most of these were killed off by the original authors. But still, it's a fascinating phenomenon. In chronological order:
- •Mrs. Jumbo - DumboBut she gets locked up in solitary confinement about 1/3 of the way through, which is like a partial death
- •Mrs. Darling - Peter PanBut they insinuate that Wendy has to essentially take on mothering her two younger brothers because her parents are so absent
- •Queen Leah - Sleeping BeautyBut to protect Aurora from the curse, she gives up her daughter to 3 fairies in the woods. Still alive tho
- •Perdita - 101 Dalmatians
- •Mrs. Banks - Mary PoppinsBut she's pretty absent and I think the implication is supposed to be that she's such a bad mother that they need a nanny
- •Duchess - The Aristocats
- •Sarabi - The Lion KingBut a major plot point is Mufasa's death, after which Simba abandons the Pridelands and his mother so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but she lives.
- •Andy's mom - Toy Story
- •Hera - HerculesBut sends her son Hercules away for the first 20-odd years of his life and has zero contact with him
- •Fa Li - Mulan
- •Sarah Hawkins - Treasure PlanetBut the father is dead/absent, and she doesn't get to go to Treasure Planet
- •Helen Parr - The IncrediblesBut even though she's one of the main characters, if you google "The Incredibles" her character isn't even on the main banner lololol
- •Eudora - The Princess and The FrogBut they kill off the dad so this still feels a little hollow. But still great great mom
- •The Queen - TangledOnly gets partial credit because most of the film is about Rapunzel being held hostage by another woman, so she only shows up except for brief scenes in the beginning and end. But still, she lives.
- •Queen Elinor - BraveBecomes a bear for most of the film so idk if she counts?
- •Riley's mom - Inside Out