Dreams I've Had About the Costa Concordia
Background: I told @wmf that I used to work for a company that played a huge role in the unprecedented salvage operation of the Costa Concordia, the Italian cruise ship that ran aground in 2011. I spent a lot of time working on this project and still think about it all the time because it's COOL AS HELL anyway this will be a boring list
- •This is the Costa Concordia btw
- •Annnnd this is the lil guy we sent down after itSEVEN OF THESE WORKING 24/7 FOR ALMOST THREE YEARS GATHERING 55,000 HOURS OF VIDEO FOOTAGE BUT LOL WHATEVER
- •Dream #1: I'm on Giglio Island at the work site and for some reason they put me on the main deck to take photos. I step on the wrong part of the deck and the ship tilts a few centimeters, nullifying literal years of calculations and resetting the entire multi-billion dollar projectOh did I mention these are all nightmares?
- •Dream #2: I'm operating the robot and navigating through the wreck and I accidentally run it into one of the dead bodies that wasn't recovered yetThis would never happen
- •Dream #3: somehow I get asked to testify in an Italian court about my involvement with the salvage operation and I have to tearfully explain in broken Italian that I have nothing to do with the wreck, just marketing for one of the contractors. I am asked to recite several specific statistics about the projectI don't speak Italian at all and also did you know that the amount of steel used in the recovery insfrastructure is equivalent to FOUR EIFFEL TOWERS
- •Dream #4: I send out a press release to every major news publication site. It has a typo.This is too real