THE TIME I REFFED INTRAMURAL SOCCER
Alt titled- ME AT HALF MY AGE VOL 2 inspired by @nathanveshecco
- •So I played soccer in high school. NBD I was a junior and senior on the JV team. But I liked it bc I got to start and played a lot of the game. If I was on varsity I know it wouldn't have been that way.
- •So at FSU as a bright cheery 18 year old, I thought, "Sure! I can ref intramural soccer. I know how to play. Plus I'll make a little money. What's not to like?"
- •I sit through the ref class and am all I got this. Easy peasy.
- •Cut to the first game. I'm on the sidelines for some reason. Not sure now if that is where I was supposed to be.
- •The players are mostly male grown adults. And they are highly competitive.
- •The ball goes out right near me. I hesitate and point to the right for that team to have the ball.
- •The other team gets mad and starts shouting.
- •So I changed my mind and pointed the other direction.
- •Now everyone is mad and hollering.
- •I can't remember how it was resolved. The other ref must have stepped in to help/rescue me.
- •I don't remember how that game ended or any other games but I'm sure they weren't pretty.
- •After a while they just pay me to watch. They no longer needed my services as a ref. The whole thing was a bit embarrassing. I never tried it again.
- •A couple years ago I did coach my daughter's 8year old soccer team. That was more my speed.