FAVORITE CHILDREN'S BOOK FOR READING ALOUD
We homeschool. We read a lot of books. There are books everwhere.
- •We've always read aloud to our kids.
- •One of my most favorites pictures of all time is of my then 15yo on the couch with her 2yo old sister and 6yo brother sitting enthralled while she read to themWell 6yo brother was actually sprawled along the back top of the couch, but you get the idea
- •And nothing could send my young Very Very Serious autistic son into giggle fits quite like Caps For Sale
- •But then there is the book that is my own personal favorite.
- •I don't know if it was because it was also my youngest child's favorite
- •Usually when I have to read the same book for over 500 consecutive nights, I get a little tired of it, to say the least
- •But not this one.
- •CHILD OF FAERIE, CHILD OF EARTH by Jane Yolen
- •The cadence is a little different, but once you get it, it's just magical.
- •There is a line on the last page that has become a motto for my youngest daughter & me .
- •"Be Bold, Be Brave, Be Unafraid"
- •She & I will whisper this to each other when we need that little bit of reassurance.
- •Sometimes, even now at 14, she will curl up next to me when she's needing some "non edible comfort food," and we read it together, taking turns with the unusal rhythm of the stanzas
- •Needless to say, highly recommend.